Apart from bathing your dog regularly, keeping your dog’s ears clean is also an essential part of pet grooming. This practice is important so ear infections can be avoided in the future. Some breeds of dogs, like Basset Hound and Labrador Retriever, are more prone to developing ear infections. This is because their ear structure doesn’t allow much air flow, making debris and wax accumulate over time.
If you think your dog is a bit irritable lately, look for these common signs of ear infections in dogs:
• If you notice some discharge and foul odor from the ear.
• If your dog has been scratching and rubbing his/her ears more frequently than normal.
• If there is redness in the ear canal.
• If there is swelling or pain and also masses on the affected area.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Cleaning your dog’s ears at home is quite simple and easy as long as you do it gently. You may want to have another person hold your dog throughout the ear cleaning process.
What You’ll Need:
• cotton balls
• a towel
• dog ear cleaning solution
1. Stretch the ear gently upwards and locate the ear canal. Pour the solution into the canal all the way until it’s filled up.
2. Massage the bottom part of the ear to make sure all the debris and wax loosens up.
3. To avoid an unwanted mess, put a towel over your dog’s head as your dog will shake his/her head vigorously following the procedure.
4. Take the cotton swab and wipe away any visible debris. Repeat if necessary.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 on the other side.
Note: Vets do not recommend cleaning with Q-tips – use cotton balls only.
Frequency: How Often Should You Clean Your Dog’s Ears?
Generally, cleaning your dog’s ears when they are smelly or dirty is the best way to protect them from infection.
Some dogs require to have theirs ear cleaned monthly while other breeds will need cleaning on a weekly basis.
If your dog already has an infection, please consult a vet to determine the best treatment possible.
Ear Cleaning Solutions You Can Buy Online
1. Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment with Hydrocortisone
Available on Amazon
2.EcoEars Dog Ear Infection Formula
Available on Amazon
3. Petpost! Dog Ear Cleaner
Available on Petpost!